Briefs from the Council’s first meeting for the new year, held yesterday -
- Arrangements were finalised for the Association's remits, etc at Royal Federation of NZ Justices Association’s Annual Meeting/Conference being held early next month in Rotorua.
- Council members were briefed on matters to be discussed at the annual meeting of Support Group Coordinators being held this Saturday. Significant changes being proposed will be revealed during the meeting.
- Treasurer Geoff Pownall reports some 390 subscriptions remain outstanding for the current financial year and “account rendered” emails are being sent out to remind these unfinancial members.
- It was agreed the Association’s 2017 Annual General Meeting will be held as last year, combined with Auckland's Regional Conference in September.
- Justices of the Peace continue to officiate at weddings in West Auckland. Ii's a pilot scheme to test popularity of marriage ceremonies in semi-formal conditions. 29 couples were wed in November, 39 in December and 29 last month. It’s thought the trial, which is considered successful, might become a permanent alternative for couples being wed, and extended to other parts of New Zealand.
- There’s been a concerted effort to update and correct the Association’s membership data. It has been a mammoth effort over many months. The latest drive has been to obtain email addresses from members whose @ addresses were missing in the data. It’s important the Association keeps in contact with members via email now there is no longer communication by postage.
- Planning’s underway for the Association’s Luncheon (usually in May) and Annual Dinner (towards year’s end). Watch this space for further details.